Galaxy Note 9 runs Android and that is the best part about it – you can install custom ROMs and all sort of hacks on to it. Unfortunately, to install these custom firmwares, you will need custom recovery like TWRP on Samsung Galaxy Note 9.
Keep in mind that this will trip the knox counter and this will tell Samsung you have done modifications on your device and warranty will be voided.
These instructions work for both snapdragon and exynos versions of Note 9.
Exynos Note 9 TWRP installation instructions.
1. In your ROM, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
2. Go to Settings -> Developer options and enable OEM Unlock option.
3. Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phones Drivers.
– Option 1: Download and Install Smart Switch for PC.
– Option 2: Download and Install standalone driver package.
4. Download and extract Odin (Samsung’s Flash Tool) to your computer.
5. Download a .tar image of TWRP.
6. Reboot your device to download mode.
– Shutdown your Note 9
– Hold [VOLUME DOWN] + [BIXBY] and connect usb cable (make sure usb is connected to the pc!)
– Read the warning carefully.
– If you agree, press [VOLUME UP] to get into Download mode. If you don’t agree, STOP.
7. Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot.
8. Hold [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] on your phone and then press start on Odin.
9. Wait for the phone to reboot. DO NOT release [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] or you may not reboot into TWRP.
Snapdragon Note 9 TWRP installation steps.
1. Make sure you enabled developer settings by pressing the build number several times and have the OEM unlock enabled.
In developer settings, make sure you tick the setting for OEM unlock and accept it once and only once. No need to go further.
Just power down and enter “Download Mode” by pressing bixby, volume down and power
DO NOT REBOOT INTO SYSTEM BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING STEPS!!
3. Download the latest Odin version, open it
4. Download the recovery file from the downloads section at the top of the thread and put it into the AP tab
5. Untick “auto reboot” in odin and flash the file
6. After flashing, boot into twrp. Make sure to NOT allow system to be modified until you disable dm-verity! (otherwise your phone will be stuck at bootloop).
It is recommended to flash custom kernel then magisk.
The custom kernel only removes root protections and defex.
7. To disable encryption, you need to flash this zip and format /data (select WIPE then select “Format Data” and type “YES” to verify)
Samsung encryption is not supported.
MTP and ADB does not work right now.